(Disclosure: Petcurean supplied me with 50 pounds of NOW FRESH, which was donated to a local dog rescue. Petcurean rocks!)
To provide more options for the special dietary needs of small breeds, Petcurean has launched two new kibbles for small adult dogs: NOW FRESH Grain-Free Red Meat and NOW FRESH Grain-Free Fish. Their new kibbles are amongst the smallest you can buy, and feature a unique clover shape that makes them easier to chew and digest. They are also made with 100 percent fresh meat or fish,100 percent fresh Omega oils, and zero rendered ingredients.
In launching these new kibble recipes, Petcurean is responding to the growing number of Canadians adding small dogs to their families. In a 2017 survey of Canada's most popular breeds, the Canadian Kennel Club identified that two toy breeds – the Havanese and Poodle – were in the top five most popular breeds. A separate Canada-wide survey conducted for the Canadian Animal Health Institute also determined that dog ownership is growing across the board, with the number of Canadians owning dogs rising from 6.4 million in 2014 to 7.0 million in 2016.
The new recipes for small breed adult dogs feature 100 percent fresh lamb and pork, or 100 percent fresh trout, salmon, and herring. They are also completely free of grains, gluten, wheat, beef, chicken, corn, soy, rendered ingredients, byproducts, added growth hormones and artificial preservatives. Here’s a few other ingredients of note:
* Coconut oil, which is easily digested and absorbed to promote skin and coat health, weight loss, improve cracked paws, and increase energy.
* Egg, which is an ideal protein because it's 100 percent digestible and has the amino acid composition that dogs need.
* Parsley and peppermint, which are natural ingredients to promote fresh breath.
* Sodium tripolyphosphate, which binds calcium to protect teeth from tartar formation
* Apples, which are high in vitamin C, fiber, and promote good digestive health.
These new NOW FRESH recipes are great for rotational feeding – which helps keep small breeds, notoriously picky eaters, eager for mealtime. All formulas feature the same basic ingredients, so there is typically no transition period required.
For more information about NOW FRESH Small Breed, please visit https://www.petcurean.com/for-dogs/now-fresh/.