Located in Malibu, CA, American Tortoise Rescue was founded by Susan Tellem and Marshall Thompson, a husband and wife team, whose avocation is fostering humane treatment of all animals and reptiles. They decided to devote their free time to the rescue of these gentle creatures after adopting two captive-bred desert tortoises hatchlings. Their sanctuary has expanded over the years and they are always in need of funds to support their worthy cause.
"Over the past 26 years, we have rescued and rehomed more than 4,000 turtles and tortoises in the U.S. as well as in internationally. Our first two, Fluffy a water turtle, and Bunkle, a land tortoise and our mascot are still with us. Turtles do not get the love (or the donations) that cats and dogs and other warm and fuzzy animals do because they are reptiles. But once you get to know them, you realize that they are just like any other sentient being with feelings and the ability to love those who care for them." ~ Susan Tellem
Bunkle - The beloved mascot for the American Tortoise Rescue
Biologists and other experts predict the disappearance of turtles and tortoises within the next 50 years. There are simple things that one can do to help avoid what would be a horrible outcome. A world without turtles seems unimaginable. (Note: Their website has excellent resources and contacts on all things turtle and tortoise)
- Never buy a turtle or tortoise from a pet shop as it increases demand from the wild.
- Never remove turtles or tortoises from the wild unless they are sick or injured.
- If a tortoise is crossing a busy highway, pick it up and send it in the same direction it was going – if you try to make it go back, it will turn right around again.
- Write letters to legislators asking them to keep sensitive habitat preserved or closed to off road vehicles and to prevent off shore drilling that can lead to endangered sea turtle deaths.
- Report cruelty or illegal sales of turtles and tortoises to your local animal control shelter.
- Report the use of tiny turtles as prizes at carnivals and other events.It’s illegal.
- Report the sale of any turtle or tortoise of any kind less than four inches.It is illegal to buy and sell them throughout the U.S.
American Tortoise Rescue celebrates 26 years of Giving Tuesday with a special "Giving Turtle Tuesday" http://bit.ly/givingturtletuesday
Please help them to continue their work by visiting their website and making a donation if you can. Turtles need love too!
Tank enjoying a pomegranate